Age spots are flat black, gray or brown spots, that appear on the skin usually on sun-exposed areas. If you notice any age spot on your skin, don’t freak out – in this post we will tell you exactly how to get rid of age spots and how to prevent them.
Age spot are also called senile lentigo, liver spots, sun spots, and solar lentigines. These spots are a result of an excess production of skin pigment or melanin. Possible causes are sun exposure, skin aging, and other forms of UV light exposure, none of them being the specific cause. Age spots appear in areas where you receive the most sun exposure, like the back of your hands, shoulders, forearms, upper back and face.
Age spots caused by age start popping up at around age 50, but younger people can also get them due to excessive sun exposure. Luckily, there are many natural ways of getting rid of age spots and here we are going to share them all with you. Continue reading to find out how to get rid of age spots!
How to Get Rid of Age Spots with Natural Remedies
The following remedies contain natural ingredients that will work together to lighten age spots and even out the skin.
1. Turmeric Mask for Age Spots
This recipe is amazing for age spots because turmeric is a spice that is full of antiseptic and ant-inflammatory properties. It helps bring tightness to the skin, and brings lots of important proteins.The sugar cane regenerates life in the skin with its moisture and encourages cell growth. The two mixed together create a wonderfully yellow blend that reduce wrinkles and evens skin tone, resulting in age spot-free skin.
- 1 tbsp of pure sugar cane juice (from local health store)
- 1 tbsp of turmeric powder
- In a small bowl, mix the two together until you have a thick paste
- Once you have your mixture ready, apply to your face with a brush or even your fingers and massage gently. (The turmeric will also exfoliate and help remove impurities.)
- Let the sweet remedy for age spots and wrinkles sit for about 30 to 45 minutes.
- When time is up, you can rinse your face with cold water and pat dry.
- You can use this mixture two or three times a week for amazing results.
2. Yogurt Skin Pack for Age Spots
The lactic acid in the yogurt gently removes dead skin cells revealing healthy and fresh skin. Lemon juice is a natural bleaching agent that reduces age spots, and when combined with the amazing benefits of the oatmeal, makes the ultimate mix to clear your skin.
- 2 tbsp ground oatmeal
- 1 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl to make a paste.
- Apply this pack on the spots and allow it to sit for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with cold water.
- Then apply some moisturizer.
- Follow this remedy a few times a week.
3. Castor Oil Serum
Castor oil is an excellent treatment of age spots due to it’s skin healing properties.
- Castor oil
- Apply a little castor oil directly onto the age spots and massage into the skin for a minute or two until absorbed.
- Do this once in the morning and once in the evening, and you should start to see an improvement in about a month.
4. Honey and Onion Face Mask
Onions are full of sulfur compounds that act as an antiseptic and acids that facilitate exfoliation. Onion juice is an excellent alternative for sensitive skin, in which lemon juice might irritate.
- 1 tbsp onion juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- Mix the ingredients together until well incorporated.
- Apply the mixture to the affected area.
- Leave it on for about 15 minutes before washing the area thoroughly so that the strong smell goes away.
- Do this once or twice a day.
5. DIY Miracle Age Spot Remover
Formulated with all natural ingredients, this homemade scar remover gently and safely works to remove unwanted age spots, and sun spots. A regular and consistent application will fade away these spots, but, as with anything, patience is a must!
- 1 tbsp organic honey
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed organic lemon juice or lime juice
- 1 tbsp fresh ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp powdered cinnamon
- In a medium sized bowl, mix all ingredients together until they form a thick paste.
- Add more lemon juice if the mixture is too thick or any other ingredient to make the paste stick to your skin.
- Apply to affected areas and leave on for 20 minutes.
- Lay back and relax as the mask takes effect.
- Rinse off and pat dry.
- Follow up with a light moisturizer.
6. Homemade Brightening Toner
Witch hazel, as a toner, can cleanse and purify the skin of dirt, impurities, and toxins, which in turn pull out blackheads, reduces pore size, and brightens the skin. When adding lemon juice to witch hazel, it has an even MORE powerful effect. Because lemons are natural lighteners, they can reduce and completely get rid of sun spots, dark spots, age spots, and acne scars.
- 1 lemon (preferably organic)
- witch hazel
- purified water
- plastic bottle
- In a bowl, squeeze the juice of 1 lemon. Use a citrus squeezer to get the most juice!
- To that bowl, add half of the amount of lemon juice of witch hazel. So if you squeezed out 2 tbsps of lemon juice, add in 1 tbsp of witch hazel.
- Now, double the amount of purified water.
- Stir well and transfer to a plastic bottle or a jar.
- Use with a cotton ball and apply all over face, especially on problem areas such as chin, nose, cheeks, or any place where you may have breakouts, dark spots, sun spots, or scars.
Tips to Prevent Age Spots:
- Don’t skip sunscreen. Applying sunscreen every day is the most important thing to do you avoid age spots and any skin damage. Apply 30 minutes before sun exposure and reapply every 2 hours if swimming.
- Try not to expose your skin too much to the sun. Avoid the sun between 10 am to 3 pm since the sun’s rays are more intense during that time.
- Wear clothes that will protect your skin from sun damage like pants, hats and long sleeves.
- After a long day and some exposure to the sun, a good vitamin E oil will help you out. Since vitamin E is an antioxidant it can help fix any damage before it even starts.